Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cinderella Macarons - Run #18

Today is the day before Thanksgiving.  Usually for me, it's the day I am freaking out because of all the cooking I am about to do the next day, but since I'm not cooking anything this year (thank you Fort McKinley and Nations) I'm just chillin.' It's also giving me time to review my year and truly give thanks for all the blessings I have been given.

There are 5 things this year that I am so grateful for:

1)  All the traveling I did
2)  All the good/bad macaron experiences I had
3)  My family and friends
4)  My job/my home
5)  My life - to elaborate: all the memories that make me the person I am at present.  The holidays make me look back on years past and I ALWAYS always think of my grandparents who have given me so much as a child growing up in their household.

I was truly a Disney kid...and come to think of it, I'm also a Disney adult.

My mom would buy me the VHS tapes of the movies that came out. Cinderella, Pinocchio, and The Little Mermaid were always on rotation at home.  Collecting Disney movies was a hobby, and it filled me with so much happiness when I added a new VHS to my bookcase where I kept them.  Pretty soon however, DVDs took over and soon after that digital. I hate to admit, but I no longer own a VHS or DVD player.  It's kind of sad to not being able to have a concrete possession of those movies anymore...but that's another story.

Anywho, after making several types of macarons I thought it would be a great idea to create some that are inspired by my favorite Disney characters. Cinderella was my favorite to watch as a child. You know that opening scene when Cinderella wakes up and proceeds to sing "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes?" I can recite it along with her.

So for my inaugural Disney mac, I created Cinderella with the help of my friend Jennifer A. of LoveLeis.  Her flavor idea and my baking.  Great team!  Jennifer suggested the pumpkin because of the pumpkin carriage Cinderalla rode to the ball in.  Also, it being the Autumn season, this is perfect to have because of the spice in the pumpkin pie filling.

10/21/12 - Cinderella - Light Blue Shells with Homemade Pumpkin Pie Filling

I also chose to keep them in one of those butter cookie tins because they remind me so much of my grandparents.  They used to take me on trips with them to Powell in Downtown SF.  Never fail, we'd head to the old Woolworth Store (now the Gap store) and they'd get me these tins of butter cookies.  Though they all taste the same, my favorite always seemed to be the sugar-crystal'ed pretzel shaped one.  Plus when Inang would cook, I kept myself occupied by watching Disney movies. All in all, this whole process of making hear particular macaron brought back so many memories I had with Inang and Tatay.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving weekend!  Eat lots and love lots!

xoxo,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment